Brianwoods

Hi. My name is Ken. I'm a member of SCBWI. I'm your tour guide into Brianwoods, a blog dedicated to my children's writing endeavors. Thanks for stopping by.

Just for a minute, close your eyes and imagine you're walking along a forest trail. Listen to the forest animals, as they call out to greet you. Welcome to Brianwoods!

This blog includes some of my other writing and details on my published materials.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Susanna Leonard Hill's 2017 Halloweensie Contest

Every year I look forward to participating in Susanna's writing contests. I especially enjoy the Halloweensie contest because I'm a big fan of Halloween. This year we were tasked with writing a story with 100 words or less about Halloween, which contains the words, candy-corn, monster, and shadow. I just came up with my story this morning after jotting down some notes last night. Please let me know what you think about my entry for this year's contest. Thanks, Ken

                         



                                                            CANDY-CORN CAPER            Word Count: 99


Here’s the scenario:

Mom couldn’t find the bag of…
CANDY-CORN.
It was on the…
KITCHEN TABLE.
On Halloween night…
IT VANISHED!
Dressed as a detective for…
HALLOWEEN,
I had to solve this mystery and…
GO TRICK-OR-TREATING.
My two-year-old sister was…
TOO SHORT TO REACH THEM.
My dad was…
ON A BUSINESS TRIP.
I needed clues, then…
I SAW THEM!
A trail of little white, yellow, and orange candies…
LEADING ME TO THE MONSTER!
From the kitchen,
To the hallway,
I followed these…
COLORFUL SWEET CLUES;
Into the basement,
Where a SHADOWY figure appeared.
“CALVIN!!! BAD DOG!!!”








17 comments:

  1. What fun, Brian...I love a good detective story! Great job working in the Halloween theme! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vivian. I enjoy reading your entries yearly, whether it is the Valentine or this contest. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment. Just to clarify, my blog is named after my son, Brian,who died at birth many years ago. My actual name is Ken.

      Delete
  2. Great detective mystery. Dog gone that dog-LOL Good luck, Brian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte,

      Thank you for your comment and for stopping by my blog. You're right about that dog gone dog. The idea for my story comes from my actual dog, Calvin, a yellow lab who has a habit of stealing pillows, newspapers,shoes,and food if he can get to it. LOL. BTW,my name is Ken. My writing blog is named after my son who died at birth. Please don't feel bad though because Vivian and you accidentally referred to me that way. It's an honest mistake.

      Ken

      Delete
  3. Mystery solved! Those dogs, you can't trust them. We have a sneaky one of our own, and we have to watch her like a hawk. Well done! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jilanne,

    Thanks for your comment and for stopping by blog.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, the dog did it. Love that you managed to fit a detective story into 100 words. kudos for that! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria,

    For some reason I was unable to find your story to comment on. There could be something wrong with your link from Susanna's blog or maybe it's just my computer.

    Anyway, good luck in the contest.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my cat would eat candy corn. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes and so would my dogs, Greg. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, first one I've read where the dog was the culprit. I enjoyed how the plot unraveled in this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy,

    Thanks for your comment and for stopping by my blog.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad dog, but good pace! Nice punchy flow to this one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delfina,

      Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comment. Good luck to you in the contest.

      Delete
  12. Wow, Ken, we really were thinking along the same wave length. I love your story. Calvin sounds a lot like my dog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, Ken! A real story - a mystery to boot! - cleverly spun in 100 words! Love the surprise ending.. although since I have dogs it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise :) Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some good news to report. Vanessa from my critique group received an honorable mention in the 2017 Halloweensie contest. Congratulations to Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete